Thursday, July 31, 2014

Are you a writing success story?

Badge of success? (public domain photo)
What determines writing success anyway? Is it the high monetary reward? Maybe it's the amount of time you've been writing? How about those badges and trophies? Is that what makes you a writer worth reading? Nah, in my book, all that has nothing to do with being a successful writer. Maybe I'm self centered or maybe I'm wise, you decide. Still what I think makes me a writing success is my love of writing and just having fun doing it.

Your love of writing can bring you acclaim.

If what you're seeking is fame and fortune, I have nothing against you. Just remember that if you are doing it solely for the money, it shows. When your writing is nothing but a dull chore filled with abiding by the rules, perfect grammar and endless spell checking, it may look good on the surface but it will have no soul, no spark, no human factor. You have to put a little of you in there in order to be a successful writer.

I have read many critically acclaimed volumes.

Some weren't worth the paper they were written on, simply because they had no human factor behind them. They were dull and lifeless, despite having generated great fortunes for those who wrote them. I've also read many books by relatively unknown authors that left me begging for more. These people did not have vast fortunes. They did, however, have more talent in their little pinkies than most of those famous folks.

You can have both.

You can be famous and talented. Absolutely. It happens all the time. In fact, most of the time popular authors are popular due to their talent. I'm just saying that awards and money and people buying up your books doesn't always indicate that you are a successful and talented writer. So, if you're a struggling artist type of writer, don't be so down on yourself. It likely has nothing to do with talent or a lack thereof. 

On the other hand...

You may never be famous so try to be happy with loving what you do, regardless of your popularity. Now that's success!

No comments:

Post a Comment