Friday, March 4, 2016

Rewriting for the future today


I'm sure that I'm not the only online writer who has had her articles released to her when a website was closed down. Today, I'm busy, going through those articles and rewriting them for other publications. There are literally hundreds of them to sort through. Now, some of them are seasonal articles. That is to say, if I publish them now on another site, they won't be relevant as they were meant to be published in another season. What's a writer to do?

You know, I'm one of those weird writers who like to go through their queue in ABC order. It helps me keep my place. Plus, I just don't feel right skipping over things that need to be done or flitting from article to article with no particular pattern or objective in mind. It doesn't suit me.

So, I just go through the list one at a time, rewriting and publishing as I go.

What do I do when I come to a rewrite article that just isn't timely right now?

Well, I rewrite it anyway. And luckily, the main site I right for, beyond my blogs is Examiner. I say that because they have an interesting submission template that allows me to decide when my article will be published. So, I can get it done and submitted now for publishing in the future. Isn't that great?

You know what else? Say that maybe I have a fall article that I'm rewriting right now. In fact, maybe I have a lot of them. That means that in the fall, even when I don't feel much like writing, my rewrite articles are still being automatically published. I don't have to do a thing. And of course, the same applies to every season.

Isn't that spectacular? I think so.

But wait! What about the seasonal rewrites that aren't going on Examiner? What do I do with them? Well, in that case, I make a folder in my word program. In fact, I have 12 of them, one for each month. They are labeled January ready to publish, February ready to publish, etc. So, at the beginning of each month, I check those folders and get those articles up on relevant sites.

Rewriting for the future really benefits me as a writer with a chronic illness too. It makes it so much easier for me to keep things going when I have bad days or even bad months. I always have those ready to publish or automatically published articles to fall back on.

I highly recommend taking advantage of the option to publish later on Examiner or any other writing site. It can't be beat for those timely articles, whether or not they are rewrites. And if you don't have that option, do try the monthly folder method. It makes a huge productivity difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment