Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Blogging is great for ending writer's block, etc. etc.

Sometimes you just have to write away your writer's block. Informal blogs are the ideal place to do just that. For the most part, blogs are about jabbering away on whatever subject strikes your fancy. Yes, I know. There are some very serious bloggers out there. I respect them. That's just not the kind of blogging I'm referring to.

Now comes the confiding part. You see, every once in a while I used to go into a mode where serious writing just wasn't something I was all that into. With casual blogging, though, I was able to free myself from writers block by just rattling off about any old thing that struck my fancy too. With all the censorship and rules now dominating the internet, that was a refreshing relief.

I liked that in their own blogs, people from all walks of life and writing levels could express themselves freely, without the grammar police stepping in with their badges and whistles. I liked that I could write like I talk in my blogs. In fact, I could write however I want.

And then, it happened. Turning to blogs to unclog my writer's blog brought about a realization. Which is this:

If serious articles cause me to experience writer's block and blogs never do, perhaps I should be blogging instead of trying to write like someone else wants me too, just to make make a buck.

And that realization is exactly why I stopped writing for private clients, and other venues.

And furthermore:

I also just don't see the point in forcing myself to comply to whatever standards some dude back in the 1800's set for all writers everywhere. I know that's not a popular thought among professional writers, but it's exactly how I feel

A writer should bleed their personality onto the page without a filter. They shouldn't be writing how someone else wants them to. They should be writing how they write. They should write as who they are.

Maybe it's just me but I feel that otherwise, we would all essentially be writing the same exact way, which would encourage living and believing the same way too.

Following someone elses rules is just not my thing, you guys. It's not worth my health, my sanity and my freedom. I love writing how I'm naturally inclined to write and for myself and myself alone. Well, and for my readers, of course. The majority of whom are just as sick of outdated, unreasonable formalities as I am.

And yes, I do believe that there is something to be said for writing and spelling well enough to be understood. I get it. I just don't think the world is going to come to an end if someone puts a comma in the wrong place or a period outside quotation marks or whatever.

I also don't believe that people who are still learning the language should be expected to speak or write it “properly.” As long as I understand them, or even if I don't, I hope they continue to write. Because practice is what it takes to hone your craft, ladies and gentlemen. And neither practice nor any human being on the planet is ever, ever perfect.

Personally, I like it that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment