Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Writers, I'm not the boss of you

I'm not the be all, end all of writing, for sure!
I'm not the bossy type. Heck, sometimes I'm not even the boss of me. Who has the energy for worrying about other people's writing errors? I always find it odd when people worry about how or what others are posting on their blogs. I love to read the posts of those I subscribe to. I just don't worry about whether they're following the rules. To each his own.

Oh, I understand that quality posts make for a quality site. I just don't feel it's my place to take issue with what other people are writing. Isn't that what admin is for?

I never liked being a hall monitor in school. Never been a tattle tale. Abhor being the middle man. Not into drama. Never been much for gossip or talking crap. Always had enough responsibilities of my own. Too many to waste time worrying about what everyone else is doing.

I'm the type of person who, if I had a bumper sticker, would probably have one that said, “Focus on your own d.... family.”

Who has time to be a watchdog anyway? I'm too busy writing, editing, gardening, cleaning, cooking and generally maintaining our little fixer upper house. I just can't imagine pausing in the middle of all that to check someone else's word count. Heck, I don't even care if you use complete sentences or aren't familiar with the English language. Goodness knows, I wouldn't have a clue how to write in another language at all. If you do, even if you''re only halfway familiar with more than one language, that's admirable to me.

I love all my writer friends, regardless of their level of writing progress. I don't care if they can't spell or don't use proper grammar. I'm interested in what they have to say. Now, if they start getting crazily offensive, I might flag them. If you're cruel or bigoted, something like that, I might call you out or make you aware of how you sound. Ethics and morals are important to me.

Might is the keyword, though. Might not. Depends on the day. Lots of times, I even let the mean spirited posts slide. After all, not everyone is perfect, like me.

Bwa ha ha ha ha ah aha ah! Sure, I am.

So, there you go, fellow writers. Write what you will. Write it your way. Post what feels right to you. I'll still read it, especially if it's interesting. I don't go around flagging everything that doesn't comply with the rules. That's not my job.

I'm here to write my stuff and read yours. I'm not the rule enforcement police. I'm just a writer, like you. Doing my best to do my own thing, better myself and possibly make a few bucks. No time for dirty looks and nasty complaints. Got work to do. I'm betting you do too. So, I'm not going to waste your time and undermine your hard work by filing complaints or engaging in pointless gossip about your writing.

It's a beautiful day to write! Hope yours is beautiful too!

No comments:

Post a Comment